Monday, October 4, 2010

President Ahmadinejad's Assertions: Loose Change?

Dear teacher and classmates,

I suppose we will not linger on the subject of President Ahmadinejad's UN speech too much longer in class; there is a big world out there to study that doesn't involve lonely middle children seeking international attention. But beyond what you hear in the classroom about conspiracies surrounding 9/11, I think we're all old enough to analyze situations and come to our own decisions on tough subjects, which is why we're in this class in the first place.

Check with your parents first, it's a touchy subject, but Loose Change 9/11: An American Coup is a documentary that you can watch or order on Netflix.com. It shows real footage and features interviews with engineers, pilots, and other people in the concerned fields and at the very least will provide you with better understanding as to why some believe that our government was involved in the attacks.

I don't want to talk about it either way; it bothers me. But if you are interested on the subject or want to know what the heck Ahmadinejad is asserting, I would highly recommend it.

See you soon,
Abby

3 comments:

  1. Abby,

    This is an interesting post, but I think there is a few things you might want to think about

    1. Documentaries are not always completely true. Whether or not there is "live footage" on any subject, the director chooses what he puts in and what he leaves out. There are whole movie conferences and fests that center around deciding whats true, and whats a stretch. ( There is a fantastic on in Columbia every February that I would recommend for documentary lovers) Documentaries can be made on absurd topics, and still have "live footage" but that doesn't mean that what their saying is legitimate or reasonable.

    2. IF the US government was involved, then there are so many questions to answer. I, for one ( and this is my biased opinion) don't believe that our government perpetrated an attack killing 3000 people just so we could purposefully get in a war that would kill millions more. It just doesn't seem logical to me. Isn't it in all the murder detective movies that they find a motive for each suspect before they accuse them? Whats the motive in this case? There's also that pesky video from the terrorists themselves that claimed responsibility for the attacks...

    3. I think its something that needs to be talked about, and I appreciate you bringing it up. There are so many different opinions out there on who perpetrated the attacks, so many different reasons it could have been done. I think the whole idea of governments being behind terrorist attacks on their own country is ( I'm going to say this bluntly) normally ridiculous. Especially in a stable, prosperous society... But no one will ever really know, will we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MaryCate,

    Well... From what I understand of society I believe almost any documentary is true. That said there is always a direct bias and many other things that shape the film. You must understand that film is an art. A good movie can change anyones opinion and is sculpted to show an opinion. This does not mean that all documentaries are right, but it would be wrong to say that they do not tell the truth. The truth and what we except are two very different things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,

    Of course, I never said it was true. But it's dumb to talk about a topic and only examine one side. And like I said, there are many experts interviewed on the topic and a lot of valid points, so take it or leave it.

    Those are the questions the documentary tries to answer; if anything it's just food for thought.

    I would like to point out that our society is not exactly stable dollar-, debt-, or oil- wise for the future, but I get what you're saying.

    Kalo, I agree. I recommended this documentary because it is generally science-based, which makes it worth evaluating.

    ReplyDelete