Thursday, October 7, 2010

Losing our religion

This is a great opinion article about Americans complete lack of knowledge about world religions and how it really harms are ability to understand other cultures. It also goes on to talk about how we are manipulated because we don't know all the facts and because of that we can be fed lies by people with agendas.
I was very happy that I did know all the facts that only about 34% of Americans new from the survey that the article uses. I also am not at all surprised by the statistics that are incredibly low numbers for some very important issues. One of the most scary ones is as follows. "only 54% of Americans know that The Quran is the Islamic holy book.
Losing our religion - Opinion - Al Jazeera English

Fombrot

2 comments:

  1. I got a 73%! That's better than I did on my driver's test. :) I missed 4/15: the ten commandments one, the Job one, the Billy Graham and those two other guys one, and the Sabbath one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I managed to get 80%, missing the one about the Jewish Sabbath, The Great Awakening, and whether or not teachers could read from the Bible as an example of literature. That last one actually surprised me, everything else is banned, so I just assumed, heh.

    I do have to exercise one bit of caution here, and that is that survey's are not always reliable. They are easy to skew. Obviously they did not interview 307,006,550 people, so they are judging the entirety of America by one small sample. It may be a rather good sample, but the sweeping claims based off such a sample seem tenuous at best.

    ReplyDelete